The girl with the golden mani.

28 May 2014

Gold Foil

I'm wearing gold leaf on my nails! Ain't that swell? It is, isn't it?! I know!

Now luckily for you, I'm going to get over the fact that it makes me feel like some sort of Egyptian princess or maybe even a Klimt painting, for just long enough to explain to you how I did it.

First of all I went to the craft store and bought me some gold leaf (well, the one I bought is more like some kind of copper, because the actual gold was ridiculously expensive, and this one is pretty darn cool too, no?).

Gold foil

Then I grabbed a bottle of my favourite budget nail polish by Hema, and gave my nails two layers of the loveliest peachy pink. When they were completely dry, I dabbed on some transparent polish on the spot that I wanted to cover in gold foil, I tore off a small piece of gold leaf with some tweezers and placed it on my nail. Dab it on with your fingers, tear off any excessive pieces of foil. Finish off with a layer (I did two just to be sure) of transparent polish.

Gold Foil

Gold Foil

Because the foil is very fragile and tears easily it's not evident to cut out clean shapes, so I just went for this nochalant torn-up craquelé look, which ended up to be pretty artistic if I may say so myself. What do you say?

xxx

PS: I'm selling some of my shoes, T-shirts, dresses and bags at very democratic prices right here!